Get 15% off when you combine Alto Atacama and The Singular Patagonia in the same booking.
Terms and Conditions apply:
A minimum three night full-board stay at each property is required
Valid for travel until April 28th, 2020.
Excluding: December 20th, 2019 to January 5th, 2020
Luxurious Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa is the perfect base for exploring the breathtaking Atacama Desert, one of the most fascinating places on Earth. The Atacama Desert is well known for its eerie lunar landscape with vast empty stretches of rock, salt and sand and blessed with the clearest skies perfect for stargazing.
Alto Atacama Desert Lodge & Spa offers guests a variety of cultural and active excursions. The all-inclusive package also includes a magnificent pool and spa and an infusion of Mediterranean and Chilean meals on offer daily.
Contours Travel suggests a minimum stay of four nights to explore this area.
On arrival into Calama you will be met by an English speaking representative of the hotel and transferred to your hotel in San Pedro de Atacama.
Alto offers a wide array of tours, each falling into a conceptualized category based on the type of experience on offer. Whether that is to contemplate, to seek adventure, cultural heritage, gastronomy, astronomical enlightenment and so on. Alto Atacama has over 30 different tours and excursions to choose from. Guests can connect with the landscape, through carefully devised walks, hikes, and biking routes. To the people, via cultural and heritage tours created with the native population, or to the night sky and Solar system, with the help of our open air observatory.
Popular options include:
– Lican Antai culture: the first stop is the archaeological site of Tulor. At 2400 years old and well maintained, the site has been of great value in understanding many aspects of local history. Then, you will travel to the village of San Pedro to explore the old city and its church. Finally, visit Pucara of Quitor; a Pre- Hispanic village that provides an outstanding example of original native heritage.
– Valley of the Moon: This tour allows guests to enter a sanctuary of nature and geology. The Valley of the Moon is a spectacular geological formation created through the conflicting pressures of the Andes and the Cordillera de Domeyko. As one of the most breathtaking and iconic views in the entire region, travellers from all over the world migrate here to enjoy the sun setting over the Valley.
Another day to continue exploring this fascinating area. Some of the most popular excursion available are:
– Salt Lakes: The tour of Ojos del Salar takes us to two incredibly deep freshwater pools which emerge unannounced from the arid Desert plains. This trip is noteworthy for its conclusion on the banks the Turquoise Lagoon of Tebinquinche; we will arrive just in time for sunset. Tebinquinche is known as a unique location to experience the pallet of colours associated with Andean volcanic waters, and surrounding mountains as the sun sets and the light morphs across the ever-changing landscape.
Another day to explore. Some of the most popular excursion available are:
– El Tatio Geysers: a geothermal field sitting at 4,321 metres above sea level. Beginning at dawn, you will explore the Geysers, which consist of large pools of boiling water and mud, fumaroles, and natural hot springs. This is also a good chance to appreciate the unique flora and fauna adapted to flourish in this extreme environment. On return, you will stop at Machuca, a traditional village previously used by local shepherds.
– Wetlands & Pecan Monks: The Wetlands tour offers the chance to delve deep into the Andean landscape, observing a variety of wildlife. The first stop is the wetland park of Quepiaco, an important protected area in the region, and a great place to spot native bird species. Next it is the Salar de Pujsa, the largest reserve of its kind and the migration point for nesting flamingos to lay their eggs. Finally, guests visit the immense rock formations known as the ‘Pecan monks’, noted for their sheer size and sudden emergence from the Desert floor.
Transfer from San Pedro de Atacama to Calama Airport for your onwards flight.